Role: Linux System Engineer
Start Date: ASAP
Location: Cape Town
Salary: Experience Dependent
My client seeks the services of a client-centric Linux systems engineer to join a team that specialises in the development and maintenance of high performance Linux and cloud hosting solutions. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of taking their large scale managed hosting environment to the next level by applying both your server admin and software development skills. The role will be based at the company's head office in Durbanville.
You will work with a team that is a leader their respected field in the South African market. Your skill, attitude and understanding of decisions made in the past will be used to guide this team into the future.
What you'll do:
* Develop and maintain reliable, fast, secure and scalable hosting infrastructure.
* Translate customer requirements into robust innovative solutions.
* Collaborate with diverse tech teams.
* Be part of ensuring the hosting platform provides fantastic long term value to the market
* Provide after hours on-call support
* Actively participate in continuous improvement within the team.
The right candidate:
* Is passionate about quality and high standards
* Gets the false economy of interim solutions
* Knows how to iterate towards the right solution
* Is able to say the words "I don't know" and "I messed up" and have said both at least once
* Knows how not to lose data to solar flares and bit rot
* Demonstrates passion for technology to serve operational and client requirements
* Has a strong sense of ownership and getting on with the job
* Demonstrates a passion for optimal systems and simple procedures
* Gets the devops mindset
* Is tenacious in troubleshooting problems
* Understands and contributes to the power of a cohesive team
Qualifications and Experience:
* 5+ years with a successful track record in Linux server administration
* 5+ years backend/API software development experience in a *nix environment
* Solid virtualization and cloud infrastructure experience
* Passionate about at least one automation tool (eg. Puppet, Ansible, Salt, Terraform)
* Experience as the last point of call for escalations.
* Has contributed to an open source project.
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science
* Exposure to a variety of application frameworks/software languages.
* Agile methodology.
Salary depends on experience but is always competitive plus benefits.
Alternatively if you would like more details please feel free to get in touch providing your contact number to firstname.lastname@example.org for an informal chat about the role.