Would you be eager to continually improve customer value and internal efficiency through quality, innovative software? Our software development team could use your skills, passion and experience to develop solutions that will help keep thousands of websites online.
We are passionate about frequent, iterative delivery of high-quality software and aim to build lasting solutions using agile principles and the latest technology available. We work together in autonomous teams that take full responsibility for their own part of the ecosystem and require commitment to and understanding of the Agile (Scrum) development philosophy. The software development team is based at the company's head office in Durbanville, area in the Western Cape.
We are looking for a data engineer to develop data pipeline solutions to extract, load and transform various forms of event-level data. The data engineer will work with structured, semi structured and unstructured data which will be loaded into a data warehouse / data lake via a centralised data pipeline.
This crucial process is the foundation of deriving knowledge from data which helps us build better products and prepares for AI. In this role, you should have a background in building data engineering solutions using scripting languages such as Python, R and Scala.
Who you are?
The ideal candidate will:
* Be passionate about data & coding, have the ability to learn new paradigms quickly and look to continuously improve and innovate
* Be mindful and considerate of the implications of their work, with a deep and sincere care for what they are doing and for the contribution they are making
* Be proactive and responsive as various stakeholders may rely on you to ask the right questions and raise flags at the right times
* Be able to prioritize and plan your own individual tasks
* Building on our coaching culture, you are someone who will not only be willing, but also passionate about assisting colleagues
* Have sound critical judgement in order to make good decisions, be someone the team can respect, trust, and depend on
Technical skills required
* Advanced SQL (4-6 years)
* Data modeling / Data warehouse design (1-2 years)
* Python (2-4 years) or R (2-4 years)
* PySpark (1-2 years) or SparkR (1-2 years)
* Exposure to AWS / Azure / GCP data architecture tools and processes
* PostgreSQL (1-2 years)
* MySQL (1-2 years)
* Linux Server Management and Security (2-4 years)
* Ruby (1-2 years)
* Technical understanding of Hadoop, MapReduce, HIVE, PIG, Kafka
* Worked on a Hadoop project via EMR / HDInsight / Databricks / Dataproc
* Demonstrable data visualization skills (Power BI / Tableau / Qlikview)
* BSc or BTech majoring in Computer Science will be advantageous, however your ability to demonstrate your in-depth understanding of the web technologies and sound software engineering practices will trump a formal qualification.
If you would like more details please feel free to get in touch providing your contact number to firstname.lastname@example.org for an informal chat about the role.